Friday 4 March 2011

The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson and Winners!!!!



Zondervan (September 14, 2010) 272 pages

Description: (from Christianbook)
An imaginative and romantic retelling of the classic fairy tale Sleeping Beauty! When Rose, a young woodcutter's daughter, falls in love with the village ruler, their relationship is complicated by a curse. Will their shared faith enable them to follow God's will for their lives---even if his plans don't include a happy ending?

My Review:
Since I've cut back on reviews, it's been wonderful to visit my shelf of "won" books. The Healer's Apprentice was one I very badly wanted to read, and I wasn't disappointed at all.
As I was totally hooked on the story, I was SOOOO ready to sit out on my porch and read. Imagine how broken hearted I was when I couldn't find my book. I finally had to settle on another one. My husband had taken it from my son and put it on our bookshelf. Of all places!! ;) Needless to say, I was very excited to finally get to finsish it. I did know mostly what would happen, but I still couldn't wait to read all the finishing touches.
I just loved getting lost in this fairy tale. And I haven't read a whole lot of medieval stories, but I think this is the first young adult one. Well, for that matter I can only think of one other young adult historical at the moment that I've read, but it was refreshing either way!!
I liked most of the characters. I think I liked who I was supposed to and vice versa. :) They really were great examples.
I absolutely can't wait to read more from Melanie!!

And just for fun, I decided to show who I pictured while reading this book. I rarely ever pick actors to picture while reading a book, but sometimes one just automatically comes to mind. After two came to mind I picked the others. But here they are:



I think the girl on the cover and in the trailer is perfect for Rose, but I think Anna Popplewell (from Chronicles of Narnia) would be a close 2nd.



For some reason, I automatically pictured Adrain Grenier as Lord Hamlin. It wasn't until after I started reading the book and pictured him that I saw The Devil Wears Prada on T.V. But anyway, I think he'd be perfect as Lord Hamlin.



Alex Pettyfer as Lord Rupert



And the Bowler Hat Guy from Meet the Robinsons is another one that automatically came to mind as I read the description of Peter Brunkhorst. :) Perfect!!

Parental Concerns: (Keep in mind I do this section for ALL my young adult books now. It doens't mean I think there are parental concerns).

Christian Beliefs
Yes. God plays a big role in this story. I think everyone has Catholic beliefs throughout.

Authority Figures
Rose's parents are good people overall, I think. They really don't play a huge role. The healer, who is like a mom to Rose, is a great example.

Language/ Violence
Definitely no language issues. I don't recall any violence.

Other Beliefs
Evil spirits and demons.

Kissing/Sex/Homosexuality
Kissing and holding hands a bit. I think it was kept very sweet.

Drinking/Drugs/Smoking/Alcohol
None.

Gambling/Lying
None. There was some covering of the truth a bit, but nothing drastic that I recall.


******WINNERS*********

I put all the entrant's names in a bowl for each of the giveways, and my husband drew the winner of Latte Daze and Double Shot.



Grace



And my little boy drew the winner of the Tales and Paws certificate for a free movie.




Mosi Esme





Congratulations y'all!!! I've already sent out e-mails. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment